Friday, October 1, 2010

Fancy Friday Picks VI

Resistance: Sometimes not worth it
It's the first day of a new month, and thank god it's Friday. When I get home today I will sort out my dusty bookshelves to get my thesis notes and articles in order.

The new academic term has commenced, and although I already made my first resolution, I realized after a brief talk with my thesis advisor on Tuesday that I won't be able to prepare for my Ph.D. applications after all. 

Instead, October, November and December will bring something new for me, something I always wanted but were too (afraid? lazy? distracted?) to start: some serious writing business. Now the runaway thesis advisor is due to leave, as expected, in early January, so the jury must be sooner than that. I'll most probably go for the 3 months extension. Yes, these will be the most memorable 3+3 months yet. (To say the least.)


Always Coveted Stuff: Bookcases, High Ceilings, and White-Washed Walls
Someday I will live in a house with high ceilings and have rows of bookcases in my living room and stacks of expensive photography books on my coffee table. Yes I will, if only for a few days.


Bookcover: Fancy Wizard of Oz Desings
I should abandon this childish urge to just let go of everything and go into graphic design. Yes I can, one of these days.





Stationery Love: Pencils!!
A new academic term means new pencils and notebooks and erasers. Even when you're a 25-year-old grad student.


available in colette

via Recave

H is for me: Monogrammed Pillows
I'll certainly try this one - not with fabric paint but with one of grandma's fancy embroidery letter designs. 

via A Cup of Jo

Perfume: Carrot Juice? To-go?
I must smell this. Anyone who brings a tester or a sample will be awarded. With lots of hugs. Seriously.


available in colette

Calories: Oreo Cake
The cake stand is what makes it work. Otherwise it's just a bunch of Oreos piled on top of each other - which is actually just perfect enough for the Oreo-lovers. (I'm not an Oreo-lover myself, not really.)


Humor: Sunshine, Regular
Less sun, more humor. Just what we need after this terribly long summer.

via Milk

Romance: You need it, kissssing's got it!


“I fell in love with her courage, her sincerity, and her flaming self respect. And it's these things I'd believe in, even if the whole world indulged in wild suspicions that she wasn't all she should be. I love her and it is the beginning of everything.” -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Courage: How to quit your day job
Note to self - Bitte zurück auf das dritte Element oben.


"Today freedom comes in the form of knowing my daily commute will consist of walking across the hall to my studio instead of driving for an hour in traffic, being able to work into the wee hours of the morning without paying for it the next day & knowing I was finally brave enough to try something I've dreamed about for years..." 
Meghan, from pocketfulofpretty

Dinner Party: Ferzan Lights in San Francisco
Great idea, brilliant lights. I'm incalculably, indescribably jealous.



For the Love of Fall: Photos from a Finnish Blog
There is something infinitely cozy about everything Finnish!







Yoga: Shoulderstand in the morning
This is by far my favorite back stretch, next to camel. It is very possible and very enjoyable after a few sessions:


This is ridiculous and still not possible:


PS: I follow Women's Health Magazine for yoga tips.

Weird News: Lion cub attacks Bloc Party guitarist

News on Spinner

Weird Idea: Sometimes chairs do grow on trees

in Pooktre (thanks sis!)

Fun phrase: "Staircase Wit"
"L'esprit de l'escalier (staircase wit) is thinking of a clever comeback when it is too late. The phrase can be used to describe a riposte to an insult or any witty remark that comes to mind too late to be useful—after one has left the scene of the encounter. The phenomenon is usually accompanied by a feeling of regret at not having thought of it when it was most needed or suitable. 

The German word Treppenwitz and the Yiddish word trepverter are used to express the same idea. One prominent example of the German term is W. Lewis Hertslet's 1982 book Treppenwitz der Weltgeschichte (Staircase Wit of World History.)"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...